Have More Fun!
The benefits of fun are so many it's hard to list them all. Seriously though, do you need a list of logical reasons? If you are stuck in 'Miserableville', then you might. Aside from fun simply being fun and that being the only reason you need, we list 8 main reasons below why it's a good idea to have fun. Then we'll talk about a reason for having fun that blows all of them out of the water. Then we'll get into the fun stuff, for realsies!
8 Great Reasons to Have Fun
(if you must be all logical about it)
- Fun reduces stress. This leads to better weight control and a better immune system. It's as though fun makes you healthy enough to have more fun.
- Fun improves sleep, memory and mood. Toddlers tend to be great at having fun and then falling asleep. Remember those ways of remembering things when you study at school, that rhyme and have little stories attached? (They're called mnemonics.) Well the reason they work is that they are relatable and fun.
- Fun helps you cope. When you have fun, you build up reserves of hormones that help you adapt to sudden changes and stress. So if you want to deal with the serious stuff in life better, fun is going to help you out.
- Fun gives you energy. It's no secret that people having fun have more energy than those who are not. No explanation necessary.
- Fun improves concentration. More energy and less stress combine to help you concentrate in ways that you otherwise would not be able to.
- Fun helps us connect with others. Bonding with other people is so much easier when you're having fun, sharing a laugh or doing something silly!
- Fun can be anti-aging. Having less stress and less tension in your body has a follow on effect of reducing the wear and tear on your body. It also promotes the production of human growth hormone so you recover from small injuries and physical challenges than you otherwise would.
- Fun makes you more positive and successful. When you're having fun on a regular basis you develop a better outlook on life and see opportunities more often, creating turning points in your life that can literally change your life for the better.
All this is great but fun is so much better than that. The benefits of fun are many many times more, especially if we change the definition of fun to be:
With this definition of fun you can begin to count all manner of things as fun. Seeing them that way can make it even more fun. If your work for instance is something that is meaningful and you feel makes a difference in the world, it expands you. If you are completely present when you are doing that work and it makes you feel truly alive then you are in a truly wonderful place.
The absolute best thing about this type of fun is that it opens your heart and helps you hone in on what is deeply important to you. Once you know this, it's the beginning of tuning into your purpose. When you start tuning into your purpose all sorts of things change and you invite serendipity, a type of well deserved luck, into your life.
When this happens, things start to snowball. Life takes on a momentum all of it's own and an adventure begins. Wonderful things can come from having deeply important fun. When fun expands you, brings you to presence in the moment and makes you feel truly alive, you've awakened something potent within you.
‘Cherish your visions; cherish your ideals; cherish the music that stirs in your heart, the beauty that forms in your mind, the loveliness that drapes your finest thoughts, for out of them will grow all delightful conditions, all heavenly environment; of these, if you remain true to them, your world will at last be built.’
- James Allen, As You Think
The beginning of this journey is choosing to have fun and then of course, actually having fun.
How to get started on a journey like this...
The Fun Exercise
"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing." – Dale Carnegie
“Find a place inside where there is joy and the joy will burn out the pain.” – Joseph Campbell
The idea is to do something that you enjoy each day and focus on it completely and be aware of your internal state as you do so. Some peoplehave vacuumed the floor, eaten fruit, danced around like an idiot in their front yard, sung as loudly as possible in their car while driving home making up the song as they went along, stared at clouds, made sandcastles, cleaned the bathroom and so on. Others have done aspects of their work that they love but with a fresh attitude. Ideally it will defy your normal logical expectations of what fun should be.
Step 1: Come up with an idea of what to do and do it. If you are unsure of what do to, do what comes to mind. Just make sure it is reasonably safe and will not adversely affect your existing relationships. You might want to explain it to others at first or you may wish to keep it to yourself. If your normal environment is characterized by people who feel it is their god given duty to control your life you may want to keep it to yourself. If you know someone who may want to join you, see how you feel about inviting them to do so.
Step 2: For ten minutes each day do something that is fun for you whether it makes sense or not. Pick something that will not endanger you or screw up your reputation or make people attack you or force the police to arrest you. Remember it is about fun, not necessarily about being radical or antisocial. It is also not about being an exhibitionist or displaying to others how much fun you are having, it is about connecting to your own heart. If you feel you may wish to seek the approval of others, be sure to do the exercise alone and out of sight of anyone else at first. The first day that you do this it may feel odd and unusual. The more odd and unusual it feels the more benefit you could get from actually doing it.
Step 3: You can do a different activity everyday or the same thing every day. What is important is that it opens your heart, engages your mind and enlivens your body. Best of luck. Notice any resistance that may come up and keep doing the exercise.
Whatever resistance you have to doing this exercise can be undone by doing the exercise.
This exercise can improve your entire life. Do not underestimate it.
If you want to know if you can continuously enjoy your life, look in the Make Money Doing What You Love section of this website.